Last modified: 2016-05-19 by ivan sache
Keywords: horcajuelo de la sierra |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Horcajuelo de la Sierra - Image by Ivan Sache, 10 July 2015
The municipality of Horcajuelo de la Sierra (80 inhabitants in 2014;
2,439 ha; municipal website) is located in the north of the Community of Madrid, 90 km of Madrid.
Horcajuelo de la Sierra, originally known as El Orcajuelo, was named for its topography, being located in a fork (horca) between two brooks, Garita and Grande. The village was part of the Community of the Town and Land of Buitrago.
Ivan Sache, 10 July 2015
The flag (photos) of Horcajuelo de la Sierra is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 9 June 1994 by the Government of the Community of Madrid and published on 6 July 1994 in the official gazette of the Community of Madrid, No. 158, p. 27 (text) and on 27 July 1994 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 178, p. 24,233 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: In proportions 2:3. Green panel charged in the center with the municipal coat of arms.
The coat of arms of Horcajuelo de la Sierra is prescribed by a Decree
adopted on 22 October 1992 by the Government of the Community of
Madrid and published on 18 June 1993 in the official gazette of the
Community of Madrid, No. 143, p. 15 (text) and on 8 July 1993 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 162, p. 20,763 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. The known arms of Mendoza (Quarterly per saltire, 1. and 3. Or the motto "AVE MARÍA - GRATIA PLENA" sable, 2. and 4. Vert a bend gules fimbriated or, 2. Azure a bridge argent on waves argent and azure. Grafted in base, argent an oak leaf vert. The shield surmounted by a Royal Spanish crown.
Diego Hurtado de Mendoza y Figueroa (1415/1417-1479), the elder son of
Íñigo López de Mendoza, First Marquis of Santillana, was made Duke of the Infantado (full title, "Duque de las Cinco Villas del Estado del Infantado") in 1475; subsequently, the Dukes of the Infantado were made first-rank Grandees of Spain, and were therefore allowed to wear
their hat in the presence of the king. Íñigo de Arteaga y Martín (b. 1941) is the 19th Duke of the Infantado.
"Vert a bend gules fimbriated or" are the oldest known arms of Mendoza; subsequently modified several times, the arms always included a red bend on a green field. The arms quartered per saltire were introduced by the first Marquis of Santillana and appear on a seal dated 1440; the marquis quartered his father's arms (Mendoza) with his mother's arms (de la Vega). His descendants were known as Mendoza de Guadalajara or Mendoza de l'Ave María. In the representations of these arms, the first quarter is inscribed with "AVE MARÍA" while the third quarter is inscribed with "PLENA GRATIA" (or, at least "GRATIA").
[José Luis García de Paz (UAM), Los poderosos Mendoza website]
Ivan Sache, 10 July 2015