This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Húns-Leons (The Netherlands)

Littenseradiel municipality, Fryslân province

Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: huns | leons |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Húns-Leons village flag] image by Jarig Bakker, 7 Sep 2003
adopted 1999; Design: J.C. Terluin and R.J. Broersma. See also:

Húns/Leons villages (Huins/Lions)

These are two separate twin-villages, which share one flag, but own each a coat of arms.
Húns (Dutch: Huins), village in Littenseradiel, it used to be in the former municipality of Baarderadeel, with (1958): 157; 1974: 129 inh. In the 19th century a brick-factory was founded (c. 1829-1893)
Leons (Dutch name: Lions) - idem, with (1958): 44 inh; (1974): 48; smallest village in Baarderadeel
Nickname: Húnzer mudden (polecats, notorious for their foul smell), Leonzer wynhûnen (greyhounds: boasters).
Húns coat of arms: in silver two lying red bricks, placed alongside, in chief and in base with a red tile; a green shield border, charged with six silver clovers, placed 3:2:1.
The green border with the clovers represent agricultural activities and the green meadows of the village. The red bricks and tiles represent the brick-factory, which was located along the Bolswarder Trekvaart. The bridge over that canal is still called the "Panwurksbrêge", brick factory bridge.
Leons coat of arms: in red a golden corn sheaf; a silver shield border, charged with six green clovers, placed 3:2:1.
Húns-Leons flag: three vertical stripes, red, white, red, each charged with a tile countercharged, placed between 1/10 and 9/10 of flag height, and the left and right ends coinciding with hoist and fly; the white tiles charged with a green clover of 1/2 flag height.
The corn sheaf from the Leonder arms is from the coat of arms of the Siccama family, which owned a "state" in the village. The shield border refers to the meadows and cattle-breeding.
For both villages one flag was designed. The tiles not only represent the brick factory, but also the fact that people need to have a roof over their heads, otherwise they would be roofless. The white tiles are charged with clovers to designate the agricultural character of the villages.
Design: J.C. Terluin and R.J.Broersma.
Source: Genealogysk Jierboekje 2001.
Encyclopedie van Friesland, 1958.
Encyclopedie van het hedendaagse Friesland, 1978.
Baerderadiel: in Geakunde, 1977.
Jarig Bakker, 7 Sep 2003

Húns coat of arms

[Húns Coat of Arms] from Wapens en Flaggen fan Littenseradiel, booklet of the municipality.

Leons coat of arms

[Leons Coat of Arms] from Wapens en Flaggen fan Littenseradiel, booklet of the municipality.