This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Flag Institute (FI)

Last modified: 2017-04-22 by rob raeside
Keywords: vexillological association | flag institute |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag Institute (FI) flag] image by Jens Pattke, 3 March 2017

See also

Association Name: Flag Institute
Officers: Capt Malcolm Farrow, OBE, RN, president
The Revd John Hall, chairman
Dr Mike Kearsley, general secretary
Graham Bartram, chief vexillologist
Tom Randall, editor
Ian Sumner, librarian
Colin Dobson, webmaster
Type: Association
Territory: United Kingdom
Established: 23 April 1973
Formed from the Heraldry Society, Flag Section
FIAV Member since: 24 June 1971 (Full Member)
Flag:  White triangle with a Saint George's Cross dividing two blue fields.


Contact Information
Mailing Address: Other Communication:
The Flag Institute (FI)
38 Hill Street
United Kingdom
Telephone: +44 (1904) 451335
Home Page: The Flag Institute
The Flag Registry:


Links to journals lists articles from this source (if present) by bibliographic code, not by title or content.
Name Language Frequency Period ISSN
Flagmaster English semiannual 1978- 0142-1271
Flag Institute Gazette (published with Flagmaster) English semiannual 2004-  
Flag Institute Bulletin English irregular 1977-1978 0309-085X
Flagmaster English quarterly 1971-1975 0142-5129
Flagfax (supplement to Flagmaster) English quarterly ??
eFlags (virtual magazine) English quarterly ??

Description of the flag

The flag is based on the lower hoist quarter of the Union Flag stylized to represent forward movement.
Flag Institute website:
Steve Shumaker, 2 March 2017

Former flag (1971-2016)

[Flag Institute (FI) flag] image by Mark Sensen

The organization's original flag was designed in 1971 by Dr William Crampton, former Director of the Flag Institute.

Original flag blazon: A white simple pile with a St. George Scandinavian/off-centred cross with the non-pile color dark blue (B++). (Side note: our current description doesn't specify the orientation of the triangle.)

The pile was select for its "V" shape for vexillology and the St. George cross for the Institute's founding date, St. George’s Day (23 April 1973).
Steve Shumaker, 2 March 2017